- Published: Monday, 08 June 2015 11:09
A new type of benefit for working age people, called Universal Credit, is coming from December 2015. It will bring together the main out of work benefits:
- Housing benefit
- Income support
- Job seekers allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit.
It will be paid once a month into your bank account, in the same way as a salary.
You will be able to claim for help with your rent but it won't be paid as Housing Benefit, it will be paid as part of your Universal Credit, and you will need to arrange to pay your rent yourself. You will also need to make sure you can pay all your bills. Paying your rent is a priority payment because if you do not pay it, and get into arrears, you could lose your home.
What can you do to get ready?
- Get Online - you'll need to apply and manage your benefits online. You're reading this so job done!
- Start saving up to pay your rent - When you sign for your tenancy, you'll need to pay a month’s rent in advance so please make sure you have the money ready.
- Open a bank account or budget account - ready for your Universal Credit to be paid into.