Are you ready?
Are you saving for your first rent payment?
Whatever tenure you move into you will need to pay rent in advance, even if you are claiming benefits.
If you are applying for a home through Homes in the City, we may require you to watch our 'Are you ready?' videos and confirm you have understood them, before we can make your application live and you can start bidding. You need to watch the videos if:
- You're not a current council or housing association tenant.
- You have a tenancy with a private landlord.
- You've had rent arrears or other problems in a past tenancy.
What do the videos cover?
The videos are broken down into two modules. Module 1 covers money management. Module 2 covers housing and managing your tenancy. You will need to watch and confirm you have understood the content before we can progress your application and you can start bidding.
What do I need to do next?
1. Fill in the housing application form - Once you have completed the application form, you will be provided with a link to access the 'Are you ready' videos.
2. Go to the 'Are you ready' videos - Click the link to access the 'Are you ready' videos.
3. Watch the videos - start with Module 1: Money management, and then move on to Module 2: Housing and managing your tenancy. We recommend you have the sound on your device turned up when you watch the videos.
4. Confirm you have watched and understood the videos - Once you’ve watched all the videos you will be linked through to an online form to complete. By filling in this form you are confirming that you have watched and understood the content of the videos. You will need your 'Application Reference Number' to complete this form. This number will have been provided when you completed the housing application form.
If you are having any problems accessing the videos please Contact us.
5. Get ready - Make sure you have one month's rent saved up as you'll need to pay this in advance when you sign your tenancy agreement. This includes everyone, it doesn't matter if you are working or on benefits. Read more.
If your first language isn’t English, you can come to one of our pre-tenancy workshops with the Refugee and Migrant Centre (RMC).